Scott Dixon, Dario Franchitti Robbed at Gunpoint at Indianapolis Taco Bell
Dixon had just nabbed pole position for this weekend's Indianapolis 500.
The robbery came just hours after Dixon snagged pole position for next weekend's Indianapolis 500, blasting around the track at an average speed of 232.164 miles per hour.
Dixon's wife Emma Davies-Dixon was also in the vehicle, which reportedly belonged to Dixon's race sponsor Honda, at the time of the robbery, according to local news channel Fox 59.
According to an Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department report obtained by ESPN, Franchitti, Dixon, and Davies-Dixon said two men held them up at gunpoint, allegedly taking their credit cards, ID, and Davies-Dixon's wallet before dashing away on foot. Police later arrested two teens aged 14 and 15, charging them both with robbery and the older boy with resisting police.
So why were the racing drivers at a Taco Bell late on Sunday night? Well, Dixon's teammate Tony Kanaan said they were heading out to buy dinner for some of the other drivers—a mission for which Kanaan said he'd originally intended to join them.
"Obviously, I'm glad they're okay," Kanaan told reporters, according to ESPN. "Now, obviously, I can make fun of them big time."
That said, we at The Drive also assume Dixon was looking to spend some of the $100,000 he'd just won by claiming pole position on a celebratory chalupa.
- RELATEDScott Dixon Takes Pole for Indy 500James Davison was also announced as Bourdais' replacement.READ NOW
- RELATEDTaco Bell Announces Cheetos Burrito, Wins Fast Food ForeverEating in your car as it should be: glutton and glory.READ NOW
- RELATEDIndyCar Hero Scott Dixon Visits The DriveAmerican open-wheel racing's reigning champ talks aero, prewar racecars, and the fastest Indy 500 ride ever.READ NOW
- RELATEDSebastien Bourdais Breaks Hip And Pelvis In Violent Crash During Indy 500 QualifyingHe was turning some of the fastest laps of the day when it all went very wrong.READ NOW
- RELATEDJosef Newgarden Is the First Driver to Crash at Indy in 2017A few others have brushed the wall, but Newgarden properly wrecked his car.READ NOW