Look At This Fast 8 Dodge Charger With a Turbine Engine
And listen to those glorious revs.
Another day, another peek at some incredible sheet metal from the filming of Fast 8. The latest look is this modded Dodge Charger, dubbed the “Ice Charger,” which will be driven by Vin Diesel’s character Dom Toretto. Dom is often found in the bucket seat of some sort of souped-up Mopar goodness, but this menacing silver bullet looks particularly aggressive, especially with those bolted-on windows, severe fender flares and fat rear tires.
Of course, you won't notice any of that right away. The first thing your eyes will be drawn to is that honking helicopter-sourced turbine engine protruding from the trunk. While it seems likely that lump is just a bit of Hollywood prop magic instead of a functioning powerplant motivating the rear tires, it still looks foreboding and impressive. It’s equally unclear what sort of engine is under the hood—but what's undeniable is that it sounds marvelous in the moment it revs up. Turn up your volume and hear it for yourself in the Instagram post below
Earlier this month, one of the Fast 8 film units rolled into New York City for a weekend of stunt driving, bringing a diverse and impressive crop of vehicles. We sent a photographer to shoot the cars in Times Square, on Fifth Avenue, and in lower Manhattan, resulting in some stunning pictures. Some eagle-eyed readers noted that the red C2-generation Corvette was the very same Stingray featured in an earlier video from our /DRIVE counterparts. Sadly, a recent photo shared by Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson seems to indicate that poor ‘Vette has met a tragic demise.
Hopefully, the crushed coupe is just a shell, and the real C2 will live to wreak widebody havoc another day. Regardless—with each batch of leaked set photos, we’re getting more excited about Fast 8.
- RELATEDCheck Out the Super-Cool Ice Cars of Fast 8Yes, that pun was intentional.READ NOW
- RELATEDSee the Amazing Cars of Fast 8 Filming in New York CityWe get up-close with Dom's Plymouth GTX, Hobbs' MXT, Letty's Corvette and a sizable NYPD motorcade.READ NOW
- RELATEDFast 8 Finds Its Villain—And She's a Familiar Face to Car NutsCharlize Theron joins the cast.READ NOW
- RELATEDDrive Wire for July 11, 2015: Fast 8 Filmed Some Amazing Cars in NYCWe've got so many exclusive set pictures, you'll be drooling for days.READ NOW
- RELATEDThe Rock Just Gave Us a Sneak Peek at the Cars of Fast 8Vipers and Lambos and concept cars, oh my.READ NOW