The 9 Best Car Cameos in Rap Videos
Because no one loves a minivan like the Wu-Tang Clan
No music video genre puts cars center stage quite like rap. DJ Kool Herc’s ‘66 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible toted two massive speakers through The Bronx at the advent of Hip Hop, and Dr. Dre choreographed a Chevy Impala parade through the streets of Los Angeles when the West Coast was where the future of rap. Cars in rap videos have always taken center stage, and each says something about the era—whether it’s a vintage Detroit-made convertible, or an import fresh off a freighter from Germany, few musical genres worship the whip like rap.
Creating a comprehensive list of the best cars in rap videos would take years. Hell, trying to catalogue every car mentioned in Ludacris’ “Roll Out” video (let alone the MSRPs he spits) would take longer to put together than the wait for J. Cole’ next album.
So here are a few solid car cameos from the birth of Hip Hop to now. To get the true story of cars in hip-hop, you have to see the range of rides through time. Some are Maybachs, others are minivans. Not every car is a stunner—but that’s the point.
9. Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five – “The Message”
- RELATEDWhy Ludacris’s 1993 Acura Legend Is Realer Than Real-Deal HolyfieldOr, a meditation on realness at the nexus of hip-hop and car culture.READ NOW
- RELATEDThe Kardashians Don't Deserve Nice CarsThey deserve old beaters, oddballs, lemons and bores.READ NOW
- RELATEDKevin Bacon's Favorite Cop Car Is the Crown VicThe Hollywood vet dishes on Austin-Healeys, stolen police cruisers and the most embarrassing thing that ever happened to him in a car.READ NOW
- RELATEDBringing Kanye and Wiz Khalifa’s Twitter Feud to the GarageStop slut-shaming Amber Rose; start shit-talking each other’s cars.READ NOW
- RELATEDFloyd Mayweather Will Tell You How Much His New Bugatti CostIf you post your new Bug and 300,000 people don’t “like” it, do people even know you’re rich?READ NOW